Thursday, March 4, 2010

A Tribute to Ted Hunt

The original and motivational Ted Hunt-

I recall the first years of College when I met Mr. Ted Hunt. He was fatherly, charismatic, wise and an original.

I started thinking about what does it mean to be an original when so many things are canned, staged or contrived to fit a so called image. I am optimistic, but find that originality is slowly diminishing in our society.

There are signs of it's demise in the lack of new generative ideas. Where are the individuals who create an idea completely on their own? We also gain knowledge from our experiences and history which provide those original thoughts. We should never compromise on aspiring to do the arduous work of seeking originality. What does that mean?

The Webster's dictionary list it as being an authentic work of art or the first form of anything and furthermore the definition expounds that originality is something fresh and novel. All these terms are a good basic description but as we face the future and learn from the past, we should embrace originality as not only a core center of ourselves but as an extension to all that we are. Every part of me spiritually, mentally and culturally, I accept wholeheartedly. Irregardless of the burdens I have learned to love all parts of myself which can not be duplicated.

While I listened to Ted Hunt speak in the 1980's during college, I heard the originality of his message in his voice. I still review his training materials. Mr. Hunt developed a Motivational Series for Youth called "Yes I Can".

The series was published in Detroit by Brumich and was entitled: Turning on to Yourself. I consider Ted an original because he took what worked and what he already knew and developed an original plan to address low self esteem. He had given workshops to Detroit Public School students on counteracting the poor attitude and excuses on why the teens could not suceed in school. Ted knew that it was not just academics alone that would build the mind and character of youth, but he knew that it was their original core of self that needed to be addressed as apart of the education of a child. His message in the 1980's was called Today's Youth: How to strive to be the best person you can be." This title still applies to students today.

Mr. Hunt's "Seven Keys to Personality" were 1) Desire 2) Faith 3) Hope 4) Smile 5) Kindness 6) Romance 7) Charity. Ted took old themes and taught youth in a real world applicable way and his original output was the interpretation and individuality of what each student developed as their goals.

I was apart of a Wayne State University (Detroit) counselor intern M. L. King/ Rosa Parks/ Cesar Chavez College Day program where we administered this training to at risk public school youth.

Mr Hunt has been deceased for a while and I still recall his speeches. He had many wonderful motivational sayings. I remember one in particular. Ted said, "I know that when love and skill work together, you can expect a masterpiece! May Ted Hunt's memory live on. He was an original.

Let Your Inner Voice RISE-
Gloria J Harden-Bailey

Check it out: http://culturalcommentaryartist.ning.com

No comments: